Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I'm in big trouble

"Sleep experts say the average adult requires seven to eight hours of sleep per night. Anything less may harm their health. Sleep deprivation could affect mental alertness, impair the immune system, and even increase the risk for diseases like diabetes." Losing sleep

These articles always concern me because I'm not good at getting enough sleep a night. On average, I get about six hours of sleep a night and in fact, I caracterize six hours of sleep as a good amount for me. That's three hours less than I'm evidently supposed to get.

Many Americans are making a similar decision and I can't fault them. In our fast paced world, it is so easy for us to short-change sleep because outside of the pressures of work, we need to spend time with friends and family, want to stay in shape by going to the gym, and have hopes of bein involved civicly.

The decision, however, could be disasterous for our health. Medical experts predict that our lack of sleep cost US citizens 15 billion dollars annually in increased health care costs and might cost US businesses 50 billion dollars in lost productivity. It also causes an increased likelihood for obesity, traffic accidents, and mental illness.

Do me a favor. Get to bed early tonight.

P.S. I've started linking the articles and quoting a line from them in my actual posts. I figure it'll make it easier for you to read the inspiration for the post if they were in my actual writing. Also, it gives me HTML practice so I can get a little bit better with this sort of stuff.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sleep experts say the average adult requires seven to eight hours of sleep per night...I get about six hours of sleep a night... That's three hours less than I'm evidently supposed to get."
- Proof positive that sleep deprivation impairs math skills!!!

11:36 PM  
Blogger T. Hildebrandt said...

You're no good Kit Davlin. No good at all. :-)

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home